So, you finally gave in to peer pressure and made a Discord account. Now, you’re wondering how you can change your profile picture on Discord.
If someone’s discord profile picture has caught your eye, here’s how you can download someone else’s profile picture.
If you want some help picking a profile picture for your Discord account, we’ve made a list of some cool Discord profile pictures that will make your profile stand out.
Change Discord Profile Picture
Without further ado, here is a step-by-step guide to how you can change your profile picture on Discord.
Changing your profile picture on is pretty straight forward, just follow these 9 easy steps:
- Open Discord on your PC and log-in to your profile.
- Click on the User Settings icon at the bottom-left of the Discord Application.
- Click on the Edit button.
- Now, click on your profile picture.
- A File Explorer window will open, asking you to choose your profile picture from your PC.
- Select a profile picture and click Open
- Discord will prompt you to Edit the picture (crop/resize).
- After Editing the Picture, click Apply.
- Now click on Save to save the changes to your profile.
Pretty easy, right?
On Mobile Phones
- Open your Discord mobile app.
- Swipe to the right to see the menu icons.
- Tap on the User Settings icon at the bottom-right of the screen.
- My Account under User Settings.
- Tap on your profile picture.
- Discord will now prompt you to choose an application from where you will select the new profile picture.
- After you select a profile picture from your gallery, Discord will prompt you to either Upload the image as your profile picture or Edit it (crop/resize).
- On mobile, you have more control over how you edit the picture. You can crop it to a specific aspect ratio, resize it, and rotate it.
- tap on the tick icon at the top-right of the screen.
- now click on the save icon (little floppy disk) to set your new profile picture.
Applying a profile picture from your mobile offers you more customizability, which is weird considering most people use Discord on their PCs.
What size to choose for a Discord Profile Picture?
What is the best image ratio for a profile picture? As it goes for most profile pictures, the ideal ratio is 1:1.
For the size of the picture, well that doesn’t really matter. Although I’ve heard that Discord automatically scales the profile picture to 128×128, I wasn’t able to confirm this.
Speaking from experience, you should be okay if you crop into the content and keep the aspect ratio 1:1. Anything from 1024×1024 to 128×128 should be okay.
Can You Use GIFs or Animated Pictures as Your Profile Picture?
Short Answer:Yes, but it’s not free.
Long Answer: Discord lets you set GIFs or Animated Pictures as your picture only if you subscribe to Discord Nitro. Discord Nitro comes with all sorts of perks like:
- Set GIFs or Animated Pictures as Profile Picture
- A Custom Discord User Tag
- Screen Share at 720p60fps or 1080p30fps
- Live Stream with Source quality
- Use Global Emojis Everywhere
- Share Images up to 100MBs.
- Boost your Favorite Discord Server
- Get a Special Profile Badge
You can get Discord Nitro for $9.99/month or $99.99/year. Although personally, I think the cost to feature ratio is lacking. So, I wouldn’t recommend Discord Nitro.
But if you absolutely need the features that Discord Nitro has, by all means, go ahead.
I hope this article helped you change your profile picture. If we missed something, let us know in the comment section below.